Top Food Blogs

Monday 27 February 2012

Shift work, eating primal, exercising and getting sleep

My husband Peter works shift work as a Police Officer in Christchurch, New Zealand.
The city of EARTHQUAKES!

I knew when he started that it would be a challenge and to be honest, I wasn't sure how he would cope. Having done the same shift patterns for the Police myself and knowing how much Peter needed his sleep - there was a slight bit of apprehension there!!!

It's been a few months now and to my surprise, AND relief, Peter is coping extremely well. He puts it down to our lifestyle. Maintaining our priorities for Paleo / Primal foods, sleep and exercise! He (well actually ME!) makes sure he has great snacks, lots of leftovers and the occasional pick me up coffee. Peter exercises 3-5 times a week, sometimes which means running to work and home, but always doing CrossFit or weightlifting. And I do my best to support him to get his sleep in. This can be a challenge with a 2 year old who just wants to see his Daddy!

However, if you do HAVE to work shift work - you have to look after yourself. More so than other people! Your sugar sensitivity is all over the show and really, you just get super tired!!

Priorities:

Number 1 = Primal Food with loads of FAT!
Number 2 = Sleep, quality and as much as you can
Number 3 = Exercise and play! Make sure you still do what you enjoy!

You have to keep these all on track otherwise you will get old, way too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment